Tomorrow I am giving the closing keynote at Oracle Cloud Day Auckland on The Power of Social Media. Below are my keynote slides.
The usual disclaimer applies: the slides are designed to accompany my keynote, not to be viewed as stand-alone slides, but may still be of some interest to those who have not attended my presentation.
The Power of Social Media – Keynote slides from Ross Dawsn
The keynote provides a whistle-stop tour of the value of social media, beginning with statistics showing that New Zealand is a world leader in the use of social media and going on to provide a few select statistics that bring home the enormity of the impact of social media.
I then go through three major perspectives on social media: Engagement, Organizations, and Individuals, and finish off by spinning through our Social Media Strategy Framework and some perspectives on why effective Leadership is essential for value creation from social media.
Here are the statistics I provide (together with sources):
* More than 1.7 billion people are on social networks (eMarketer)
* Over 30 billion pieces of content are shared on Facebook monthly (Facebook)
* 46% of consumers have used social media to help make purchasing decisions (Nielsen)
* 55% of under 35s share bad customer service experiences on social media (YouGov)
* Managers who use social media are 39% more likely to have been promoted recently (Millward Brown)
* 36% of 60-year old New Zealanders are on Facebook (Facebook) (compared to 43% of over 65 year old Americans on social networks (Pew))
* US$900-1300 billion annual value that could be unlocked by social technologies (McKinsey Global Institute)
* Over 85% of Facebook activity from Egypt in early 2011 was political (Dubai School of Government)